Androgyny is a “go to” style and suits everyone. The whole “girls dress like boys” trend has been around for centuries. Think back to black and white films of the 1940s and 50s, actresses would wear tuxedos and top hats, buttoned up shirts and smart shoes. Forward a few years later, the famous power suit of the 80s with structured shoulders and box like blazers. When it comes to this style, it comes with simplicity, minimalism and effortlessness. It’s so easy that it cannot be done wrong. Dress in a way where you can say “oh I just threw it all together” because the vibe speaks for itself. This particular androgyny style is of the formal minimalist look, however there are so many ways to create it to fit your style, either by wearing oversized sportswear like a tracksuit, oversized jeans or denim jackets but in most cases all styles should mix together for an updated fresh look.
Here are some outfit suggestions on how to wear and style an outfit:
– An oversized blazer preferably borrowed/bought from a charity shop second hand, a crop top or bra top, cycling shorts or joggers and trainers (most commonly Nike Air Force 1s).
– Oversized vintage sports sweatshirt with turtle neck top/knit, knee length tailored shorts, socks and trainers.
– An oversized shirt, half buttoned up and the bottom tucked into tailored trousers or shorts, a bra top and trainers.
– Classic style blazer with matching shorts and shirt/blouse or cami top.
– Boyfriend fit or mom jeans that are one size bigger than your normal size, cropped hoodie or sweatshirt and mini rucksack or bag.
– Wide leg jeans or trousers with a cami top and oversized blazer.
All outfits to be accompanied by 90s style accessories such as cat eye or round sunglasses and minimalist jewellery, small chains and stud earrings. The celebrity that perfects this style is Hailey Bieber, Instagram influencers Sylvie Mus, Filis Pina and Lissy Rody and then brands such as The Frankie shop.
By stylist Shennelle Mclune.